My new stamp library …

Today is the day to rejoice!! Thank goodness – my month-long project to reorganize my stamp collection is finally done. What a relief! I thought I’d never get it done – it was a long arduous journey where I almost gave up a few times.

Anyway – here is how I would find my stamps.

1) Look in my stamp inventory binder where there are 7 categories

  • Alphabets (letters, numbers, punctuations)
  • Celebration (birthday, new house, new baby, graduation, wedding)
  • Design (flourishes, texture, backgrounds, borders, tags)
  • Holiday (X’mas, Easter, Valentines, Halloween, 4th July)
  • Misc objects (collage, objects)
  • Nature (flowers, leaves, animals, critters)
  • People (here is where I put my magnolia stamps and images of people)
  • Sentiment (text, greetings, dates)

2)Each category correspond to a box of stamps. (e.g. “Design” category has a “Design” box, “Celebration” category has a “celebration” box etc.)

3) If I’m looking for a specific stamp (say invitations), I look in the “Celebration” category in my binder

- where I will find “invitation”. Flipping to my “invitation” page on my binder, I find all my “invitation”  images. This way, I only need to work with a binder on my craft table.

4) When I have found the image I need in the binder, I look into the boxes for the exact CD cases they are stored in.

When I buy more stamps (which we all know will happen), I just add it to the corresponding box & the corresponding category in my binder. Or if I happen to buy a stamp that I need to create a new category for, I just create a new box & a new corresponding category in my binder.

I hope this system works for a while because I’m not looking forward to recreating the whole system for a while.

Have a great day!


My stamp organization

Good morning friends,

A few of you have asked about my progress with my stamp organization that I started a few post back.

The bad news – it is not completed yet; the good news – I made progress.

The bad news – it’s a slow and painstaking process; the good news – I found out that I have about close to 150 sets of stamps

The bad news – I had to cut them all apart to fit them into CD cases; the good news – by separating them from their original sets, I am not locked into a specific way to use them and I am using each of them more.

Enough of my ramblings … here are my work-in-progress pictures.

I have taken them out of their plastic sheets they came in and put each image into their CD cases;

labelled the CD cases,

and they all go into boxes I bought from Ikea sorted by categories. I have created 7 categories:

1) Alphabets (letters, numbers, punctuations)

2) Celebration (birthday, new house, new baby, graduation, wedding)

3) Design (flourishes, texture, backgrounds, borders, tags)

4) Holiday (x’mas, easter, valetines, halloween, 4th july)

5) Misc objects (collage, objects)

6) Nature (flowers, leaves, animals, critters)

7) People (here is where I put my magnolia stamps and images of people)

8) Sentiment (text, greetings, dates)

There are some stamps that would fall into more than 1 category – I put those in the category I would most likely use/find them.

Here is where they sit in on my closet.

My  next step is to label those boxes and create an inventory binder of all my stamps so I can find them in the boxes.

I can’t wait to finish this project … meanwhile, celebrate your little successes!


Time to organize …

Sorry everyone for the gap in post – Blogger, the hosting domain, went down last week for over 2 days and no one could get in to post anything. In addition, they took all the post and comments after 5/12 down with it. What a nightmare! So here I am re-typing the 5/12 post again and it infuriates me as I am typing and also not knowing if the blog invites I sent that day got to anyone. I hate to inundate friends with multiple invites. Sorry for gripping – I found a quote from a source I don’t remember that says “If you threaten me, I’ll blog about it”.

Anyhow, I spent most of my time today, reworking on the blog what was lost, hunting for tools, fondling my tools, moving it from place to place to try a new spot instead of stamping and actually creating something. That means it’s time to organize again…organizing always refreshes my creative mind. Finding a new home for something is like looking at the world from a different perspective – sometimes, the perspective is so different, I can’t find what I am looking for. (but that is for another post).

In one of my mentally idle moments, I found Ted’s amazing, out-of-this-world stamp organization. OMG!!! you have to see it to appreciate that OMG comment!! It’s a level of organization that only a librarian (or some related profession) can come up with!!

My own stamp collection is in 3 piles – to be used (on my craft desk), used and to be put back (on my computer desk) and unused (in 3 ring binders). Binders didn’t quite work for me because the weight of the stamps were ripping the D-rings out of the binders and it just seem like a 3″ binder could hold about 10-15 stamp sets before they would start ripping out. So I wondered for a long time (6 months to be exact) if Ted’s system can redefine the current state of organized chaos in my own stamp collection.

I decided to embark on this organizational journey that I have dared not venture. So I bought 200 empty CD jewel cases from Polyline Corp – they are the cheapest (including shipping) I have found online @ $0.14/case. My husband rolled his eyes when he saw me spending money on junk again. Here is a picture of it.

It’s been sitting for a week now – I better get a moving on it otherwise, I would have fallen off this organization bandwagon before it got anywhere. And since I have already post it, that is added incentive to keep moving and get my stamps in the cases.

Have a great day today and I hope blogger doesn’t remove this post again.